ADULT CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION
Remember your C- A- B-'s:
911 then, Check for carotid pulse by feeling for 5-10 seconds at side
of victims' neck.
- Place victim flat on his/her back on a hard surface.
- Shake victim at the shoulders and shout "are you okay?"
- If no response, call emergency medical system -
C - CHECK FOR PULSE
If there is a pulse but victim is not breathing, give Rescue
breathing at rate of 1 breath every 5 seconds Or 12 breaths per
If there is no pulse, begin chest compressions as follows:
Feel for the victim's sternum with your left hand. Feel down until the sternum ends
at the xiphoid process.
Place your left ring finger on the xiphoid process with the next 2 adjacent fingers adjacent the ring
finger beside it. Place the heel of the right hand above your left hand on the sternum.
Remove your left hand from the chest, and place it on the top of the right hand, interlocking the fingers of both hands.
With your other hand directly on top of first hand, Depress the sternum 1/3rd to 1/2 the depth of the chest.
Perform 30 compressions to
every 2 breaths.(rate: 100 per minute)
check for return of pulse every minute.
A -OPEN THE AIRWAY
Head-tilt/chin-lift - open
victims' airway by tilting their head back with one hand while lifting up
their chin with your other hand.
B - ASSESS FOR
UNINTERRUPTED UNTIL ADVANCED CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT ALGORITHMS IS AVAILABLE.
- Position your cheek close to victims' nose and mouth, look
toward victims' chest, and
- Look, listen, and feel for
breathing (5-10 seconds)
- If not breathing, pinch victim's nose closed and give 2 full breaths into victim's mouth (use
- If breaths won't go in, reposition head and try again to give breaths. If
still blocked, continue C.P.R.