ADULT HEIMLICH MANUVER
Look for the Universal Sign of the victim's hand across their throat . . . . . . .
- If the victim is making sound or moving air, encourage them to cough.
- If the victim is not making sound, or is turning color, intervene.
- Announce to the victim that you know the Heimlich Manuver and can help!
- Have someone activate emergency medical system -
Stand behind the victim with your arms wrapped around the
Feel for the victim's xiphoid process with your right hand.
- Make a fist with your left hand and place it (THUMB IN)below the right hand.
- Wrap the right hand over the left hand.
UNINTERRUPTED UNTIL ADVANCED CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE.
- Give inward and upward thrusts towards the shoulder blades.
- Repeat this until either the obstruction is removed, or the victim becomes unconscious.
- If the victim becomes unconscious, assist them to the ground and perform C.P.R.